Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Treasure Hunting

This has to be one of my most favorite concoctions I have ever thrown together! Mostly because it is comprised of some very random items and they were all FREE!!!


My youngest sister and I both received metal detectors last Christmas and decided to for treasure hunting in the woods behind our parent's home in Welcome, NC. I am not sure exactly what sort of treasure we were thinking we were going to discover, but being as the town's history is composed of poor tobacco farmers, the odds of gold and riches were not high. But as the saying goes "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder," and perception makes all the difference. So when we discovered the old car that had been left in the woods to waste away under trees, dirt, and leaves, Kaitlyn felt that it was a treasure. It was pretty impressive that most of the chrome of this car was in impeccable condition (especially since the chrome on our 2000 Chevy Silverado is rusting and flaking)and wasn't extremely hard to pull off the brittle rusted body parts of the car. The down side is that it was incredibly heavy and I had to do most of the heavy lifting all the way back to the house. I am not going to lie to you when I say that at that time, I did not really see much more than more stuff to go to the recycling center and the only reason I was hauling this back home was to humor a 14 year old and let her believe she really did find something special. My mother wasn't extremely excited with the pile of car parts on her front porch, but smiled and said "wow, you really did find something there." I volunteered to take the parts back home being that we were planning to go to the scrap yard soon.  Long story short, the parts didn't get scrapped and I couldn't be happier because I got to take this:



And turn it into this!


I used the chrome from the car as the body, 2 light fixture mounts, some plumbing handles, and washers for the eyes and a conduit strap for the nose. And I can't wait to figure out what I will do with the rest of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment