Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Habitat ReStore Chairs: What Would You Do?

Hi - I'm Crystal and I write the blog The Weekend Homemaker where I share creative ideas for those with little time and a small budget. I'm excited to be guest posting for the Our Towns Habitat ReStores and wanted to share my latest find. 

I picked up these two fab chairs from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Cornelius and have been in a quandary over what to do with them. I knew I loved the casual feel and the details of the chairs and I did NOT like the cushions. Beyond that I was a bit stumped.


So what do you do when you are stumped? You ask the experts! I reached out to a few designers and bloggers to get their advice. I loved each of their different takes on how to bring new life to these classic beauties.

First up, I asked the vivacious and colorful Cassie, from Hi Sugarplum! Cassie’s known to go bold in her own home and I love how her projects are affordable AND fashionable. Cassie’s advice is: 



Source
 If you like the finish, then I wouldn't paint it. If that shade of honey isn't your cup of tea, then I'd definitely paint...and paint a fun, bright color (surprise, surprise, right?!). Those chairs are unique, so you want them to stand out. Depending on how comfy they are with no cushions, I'd consider just a lumbar in a fun print...or just the bottom cushion. I want to be able to see the detail of the back!
Hmm, maybe something like this, Cassie?…


Next, I asked veteran blogger, Rhoda from Southern Hospitality. Rhoda has spent the past year or so fixing up her 1979 split level, doing most of the work herself, along with her 86 year old father! So what advice did Rhoda share?
Source

Oh how fun!  I love thrifting and redoing for sure and yes, I would paint those chairs. I think that would really freshen them up. I'd either do a glossy creamy white or a fun punchy color.  If you can recover those cushions in a fun and graphic fabric that would totally bring them up to date. 
Hmmm…glossy white, that sounds beachy and fresh.


Diane Henkler, of In My Own Style is a master of painting and provides great project tutorials on her blog. One of these days I plan to follow her instructions on how to build a banquette.

Source

Diane says:

I would do one of two things:
1. Clean them up and leave the rattan as is. It looks like it is in good shape. I would get a new cushions or cover the old ones in a fabulous colorful fabric. 
2.  Paint the chairs in a high gloss vivid color ( I would choose between chartreuse, teal, orange, emerald, orange, or yellow)  and new cushions of course. 
If you are on a budget. I would clean the cushions and let them soak in the sun until they are dry and then cover them with fabric.  If you sew, then I would make pillow style covers for them. The no-sew way would be to wrap each cushion with fabric like you were wrapping a gift. Use large safety pins to secure the fabric on the underside of the cushion.  
 The rattan is in great shape, perhaps all they need are fresh new cushions.
 

I also asked  designer Cheryl Luckett what she would do with these beauties. Cheryl is a designer, blogs at Dwell by Cheryl and is also a guest blogger for Metrolina ReStores Blog. I know she has experience making over Restore finds!

Source

Cheryl shared her own inspiration pictures and says:
If they were mine, I'd paint them a fun color and use a modern print fabric.  The chairs themselves are such a throwback in style and type that, I'd go modern with the color and fabric choice.  White could also be a nice choice. I'd also take the tufting out of the pillow.
Source Unkown

Source

Thanks Ladies! I’m not sure if I’m more or less confused by all your great ideas. Stay tuned, I asked 4 more design bloggers what they would do. I'll be back later to share their ideas and then reveal my final decision.

4 comments:

  1. Fun, Crystal, to read all of these opinions. I love all of them, so can't wait to see what you do. Thanks for asking me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the chairs. They were a great find. I think no matter what you do to them - they are going to look fabulous. They look comfy, too.

    My best-Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that's a lot of options. Great find. I guess it all depends on how you plan to use them, will determine the way to go. Can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great chairs -- can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete