Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Habitat ReStore Chairs: What Would You Do, Part 2

Remember these fabulous rattan chairs I picked up from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Cornelius?

 
 
I reached out to some of my favorite design bloggers for ideas on what to do with them. The other week I shared ideas from Cassie, Rhoda, Diane, and Cheryl. This week I’ll be sharing four more ideas from some of my favorite experts.

First up, I asked Carmel from Our Fifth House.  Be sure to check out her home’s entry foyer (one of my favorites). Here’s what Carmel had to say:
 

 

 
 
Those chairs are amazing!  I'd leave them as is but would definitely have the cushions recovered or replaced.  Maybe a solid white or cream cotton canvas on the cushions.  I'd also maybe only use the seat cushion and leave the back open - looks like the back of the chair has a really pretty design.  


Maybe something like this image I found on Pottery Barn’s website…

 
 
 
Next, I asked designer, Rene Zieg from Cottage and Vine. Rene is an interior decorator in Greensboro, NC. Check out her great design tutorials for stylish DIY projects.

 
 
 
 
Oh how fun!  I could see them painted glossy white with a colorful geometric such as a Caitlin Wilson fabric.  On the other hand I could see them as is with a suzani or ikat fabric for that more rustic eclectic look.  
I love a bold geometric pillow. Maybe something like this…

 
 
 
Meredith, of  Meredith and Gwyneth, The New Yorkie is a master of making over discarded items. While living in NYC, she made over several pieces with amazing results that she found while dumpster diving.
 
 
 



Meredith says:

I'd definitely spray paint them! Maybe a bright green, yellow or hot pink in a semigloss! Do you sew? Taupe or white cushions with bright piping would be gorgeous!

 
 
 
I agree – hot pink and bright piping are a fun choice!

I also asked  Amy Whited. Amy lives in Durham, NC and runs Yellow Hammer Design Shop where she sells beautiful furniture and accessories she's found and refurbished. Check out her dining room that was featured in This Old House magazine.  

 
Source: Yellow Hammer
 
 
So I would paint them in Valspar's Hint of Mint which could be mixed in a glossy porch and floor paint so they are outside durable. And then I would suggest just ditching the cushions for a pair of square throw pillows (depending on the condition of the seats underneath. I love this Richloom fabric and it's a steal for $8.98 a yard, which will make you 2 pillows. Done and done.

 
 
 
Ikat prints are my current favorite and I love Amy’s tip of using a porch or floor paint to make them outside durable.

Oh decisions, decisions! What’s your' favorite look for these ReStore chairs?

 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for including my opinion here. So fun to read all the different ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Crystal! Enjoyed reading all the advice. Hope your project goes well!

    ReplyDelete